Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hike on 3/31/12 - Pink Beds


We returned to Frying Pan Mtn fire tower on Sat to retrieve my favorite lead that I had left there last Tues, and much to my delight it was indeed there, still tied to the tree where I had left it.  The wind was blowing and Sky is pictured above "protecting" me from a trash bag tied to a piece of fencing behind the building housing the radio equipment for the USFS.  Silly girl, Sky!

I decided to go back to the Pisgah Inn to pick up a picnic lunch, and when I got out of the car there was this gentleman from Denver CO playing the bagpipes!  I enjoyed listening to him and chatting about my old home town. If I can figure out how to put a video on my blog, I will add so you can hear the music lol!

The Pink Beds trail is 5 miles long, and is a nice loop trail ordinarily; however, part of the trail is closed for some construction where beavers have altered the terrain.  We were still able to make a "reverse 9" loop our of the trail.  This is a hike I have not taken before, it is very popular during the summer season since it is near a great picnic area and is reasonably flat.  The terrain is varied, with open forest area, pockets of open fields, and several stream crossings.

This boardwalk has been rebuilt recently, again due to the beaver activity.

Sky enjoyed wading in the South Mills River and cooling off.  The temps were in the 70's and sunny for most of our walk.  This trail is open to mtn biking and dogs can be off lead from Sept to early April.  Several groups of bikers passed up, and I have to say they were so polite and embraced the concept of sharing the trail with others.  Sky and I were respectful of them as well, it is wonderful when we all get along enjoying to out of doors!

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: